My first AWP. My first reading on the west coast. It was grand. Thank you, Seattle. You give me wings.
Highlights (in no particular order) include:
* The New Megaphone + H_NGM_N Books reading which included myself, Russell Dillon, Nick Sturm, and A. Minetta Gould.
* Hanging out with my dear badass friend, Diana Khoi-Nguyen and eating the best fish and chips ever at Pike Street Fish Fry.
(Picture courtesy of Diana)
* Hanging out with my pal, Geoffrey Nutter.
* Briefly, but finally, meeting the writer, and spirit sister, Amina Cain.
* Experiencing "Queer Translation" with the one-and-only Gina Abelkop of Birds of Lace. Check out some awesome moments here.
* Reconnecting with my old neighbor, cat loving poet, Thera Webb at the Black Ocean Press table. (Fiddlesticks, Zipper, Niña, and Lulu 4ever)
* Drinks with Antonia Pinter and founder, Patricia No, of Publication Studio! Fun side note: Patricia (Bard ‘06) and I (Bard ‘07) founded the Bard Student Reading Series in 2005, which not only is still alive and kicking, but I found out that one of the former curators was Kit Schluter (Bard ‘11), poet and founder of O’Clock Press.
* Seeing the wonderful, Willis Arnold and Gracie Leavitt. Check out Gracie’s debut collection of poems, Monkeys, Minor Planet, Average Star (Nightboat Books 2014) and Willis’s photography in the most current issue of LIT.
* Calm and happy fatigue tea time with Jane Wong.
* Crumpets with my love.
* These books:
TOP ROW (from left to right): Don Mee Choi, The Morning News Is Exciting (Action Books 2010); Valerie Mejer, Rain of the Future (edited by C.D. Wright) (Action Books 2014); Kim Hyesoon, Mommy Must Be a Fountain of Feathers (translated by Don Mee Choi) (Action Books 2005); Carl-Michael Edenborg, The Parapornographic Manifesto (Action Books 2013); Wong May, The Making of Guernica (Octopus Books 2014)
SECOND ROW: Cedar Sigo, Language Arts (Wave Books 2014); Hoa Nguyen, As Long As Trees Last (Wave Books 2012); Geoffrey Nutter, The Rose of January (Wave Books 2013); Julie Carr, RAG (Omnidawn 2014); Jean Day, Early Bird (O’Clock Press 2014)
THIRD ROW: Mei-Mei Berssenbrugge, Hello, The Roses (New Directions 2013); Belladonna* #161 Against the Private Zoo (Belladonna* 2014); Zachary Schomburg, Scary, No Scary (Black Ocean 2009); Feng Sun Chen, Butcher’s Tree (Black Ocean 2012); Elissa Gabbert, The Self Unstable (Black Ocean 2013)
BOTTOM ROW: Paul Killebrew, Flowers (Canarium Books 2010); Robert Fernandez, Pink Reef (Canarium Books 2013); Farnoosh Fathi, Great Guns (Canarium Books 2013); Joshua Marie Wilkinson, Swamp Isthmus (Black Ocean 2013)
** P.S. I read Robert Fernandez’s Pink Reef and Feng Sun Chen’s Butcher’s Tree on the flight back and both of those books tore up my insides to brutal shreds in the best way possible. My organs now have teeth.
i love poetry.